from Gourmet | November 2004
I made the chutney yesterday as one of the “make-ahead” dishes before Thanksgiving, and it sure tasted wonderful last night! I’ll give a better review after we serve it with the bird with our friends here in DC. But I didn’t want anyone looking for a cranberry dish to miss this option.
* 2 lb Gala apples (about 4)
* 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
* 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
* 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
* 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
* 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/2 lb fresh or frozen cranberries (2 cups), thawed if frozen
Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 400°F. Peel, halve, and core apples, then cut into 3/4-inch cubes. Stir together with remaining ingredients except cranberries in a 13- by 9-inch glass baking dish and spread in an even layer.
Roast apple mixture, stirring occasionally, 1 hour. Remove dish from oven and stir in cranberries, then continue roasting until cranberries are softened and most of liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Serve chutney warm or at room temperature.
Chutney can be made 3 days ahead and cooled, uncovered, then chilled, covered.